I've been trying to think about what to post. Not only do we not have a lot of time, but I feel as if the sorts of things that we're doing and thinking about are not blog worthy. Just to prove it to you, I thought I'd dedicate a post to the topic we're most focused on these days.
Poop.
Inspecting the contents of diapers seems to me a bit like reading tea leaves. Not only can it be used to predict future events, but there's lots of interpretation involved. Some of the interpretive debates we have run along these lines: is it diarrhea? Is it watery?Brent says 'No'.
I say 'Of course it's diarrhea! Duh!'
So we inspect further and discuss. Also, if Brent changes a diaper that I don't see for myself, I want a full report: Was it dirty? What kind of poop? Is it more solid than the last? Like how much exactly? What precisely was the consistency? And, I must confess, one time I wasn't totally satisfied with his report (remember, we tend to disagree on our interpretations), and so I went and found the diaper to check it out for myself...
Please, please, those of you who are parents, tell me this is normal parental behavior. Or have I turned into some kind of deviant?
Before you decide that I'm a freak, let me just give you a little context here. We gave both Evelyn and Jesse oatmeal about 3 days ago. They both ate it with great gusto. But it had a very different effect on each of them. Evelyn had diarrhea for 2 days straight (and I'm talking like 1-2 diapers per hour with a significant number of these being blowouts) and Jess had nothing (nada, no delivery). (Hopefully, they'll forgive me one day for broadcasting this information.) So, of course, we're concerned right? I mean, they were both clearly unhappy and not feeling well--though for slightly different reasons. Now, in her case, we're worried about her getting dehydrated, so looking for any signs of improvement; in his case, we were just worried about how long it might go on.
So, those of you out there that have been clamoring for more posts, wanting to know what's going on...that's it, that's the poop.
In case you're curious, here's what I believe the "tea leaves" prophesy:
And here are some pics for Jess and Evie's adoring public (Oh, and don't worry I've not gone so far as to document any bowel movements in photos.)
| Anybody in there? |
| I know I'm the one laughing here, but it's only because she was clowning around! |
| Baby-Zilla comin' to get you! |
| At last a breeze... |
| Makhabbat and her daughter stopped by for a visit. It was clear the kids enjoyed hearing a little Russian spoken to them. |
| Poor Jesse, he's been a little fussy. Especially unhappy when his sis takes his toys. |
| Hey! Wanna get me outta here? |
| It is regarded as bad parenting to take a baby out of the house (even in the heat of summer) without a hat. Here we are, all ready for a walk. |
| What are you doing down there, mom? |
| The boy loves his toys! |
| Helping Dad with work... |
hey brent allie here just wanted to say nice blog it was a little disturbing though
ReplyDeletelove you alllie
Oh what a funny, funny post! And great pictures as usual.
ReplyDeleteYes, you're normal. :-) And it doesn't go away either. When they're babies we talk about poop. Then when they start walking, it's all about potty times. Celebrating the poop is the next big milestone I'm discovering. I'm suspecting elimination will be regular topics of conversation until the kids are about 4 or 5. Maybe longer? Oh no! :-)
I have to say, you guys look soooo much better with babies as opposed to without. ;-)
amazing how "hungry" we get for the pictures and yeah - the words!
ReplyDeleteSome very good photography going on there too! (the window and curtain blowing..)
Loved your analysis re: "tea leaves!"
so thankful and happy to see all the pictures and to hear from you guys! Love you! Mom/meemaw/vicki
In MA they taught us "BRATY" (banana, rice, applesauce, toast, and yogert) as the foods that should stop runny poops in their tracks. Just a little info to add to your spreadsheet. ;-)
ReplyDeleteProbably a shock to the system to get all sorts of new and wonderful food after 7 months of Kefir. (how do you pronounce that by the way?)
Good luck! and we miss you.
love,
Muffin
Uh, I think you are just the tiniest bit obsessive.
ReplyDeleteHowever, when my first baby ran a fever of 99.8 and I called the pediatrician at 11:00 at night, he kindly suggested that *I* might be just the tiniest bit obsessive.
Also it needs to be said that we just got our first dog and it seems that all we can talk about is poop.
So ... I think it comes with the territory.
Can't tell you how many times I have sat with a group of mom's and talked about poop. Lovely I know.
ReplyDeleteMan, those are some cuuuuttte babies!
Eating (and pooping) + sleeping + love = HAPPY BABY Of course you are obsessed. I still remember a time when Luca was a baby and he didn't go for 8 DAYS. I will probably remember that forever.
ReplyDeleteAs always, great photos!
We had a friend who actually saved the diapers in the fridge and took them to the doctor -- I don't think you're quite there yet, but close. Don't make me fly all the way over there and slap you! :-)
ReplyDeleteOn reading this blog, I was reminded of this kid's book called "Everyone Poops" by Taro Gomi. You might want to look into that. Also, there's a song I wrote on the topic: it's to the tune of REM's "Everybody Hurts" only you substitute 'Poops' for 'Hurts'. (You might wonder if that counts as writing a song. It does.) You can sing it as encouragement to Jesse while he's working it out (in case he feels left out by comparison with Evelyn): "Everybody poops, sometimes, so hold on, hold on".
ReplyDeleteNormal?? Ok, take yourself back -- oh, say, six days, did you see yourself behaving in this fashion. Might I kindly suggest on behalf of the deviants in the world, we're a tad offended at the association you're making! Digging a diaper out of the trash! Come on now -- think about it -- if you're right, you won't have to wait long to prove the point. If you're wrong, well, in this instance -- so much the better!
ReplyDeleteI love the freak you've become... :-)
DHart
Great post... but I have to say even I think Susan is a little obsessed with the poop! (Although I'm not in a different country feeding 2 babies new food! Sam's poop is pretty consistent at this point- only one thing in, and one type off poop out!) I'm sure they will be fine and Jess will poop eventually. Just relax and enjoy the fact that you get to change all these diapers and spend all this time together! Any updates about your return to the States?
ReplyDeleteCan't wait until you are back in the lou!
Kate