Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Wednesday, Thursday, Courtday

The court date is just around the corner. The day after the day after tomorrow.

I must admit, I feel a bit apprehensive about it.
Our coordinators here preface all discussion of the final leg of our journey with: "If all goes well at court...", or "If the decision is favorable..." Until this point, I've been inclined to think of the court hearing as a mere formality. I mean, we've completed the loads of required paperwork, we were invited by the Kazakhstan Ministry of Education to come here and meet these children, we've traveled across the world, completed the requisite bonding period, visited the babies every day for almost 6 weeks. How could court be anything other than a formality at this point? Even so, it's increasingly clear that the folks working with us on this side don't think of it that way. Recent news that three families (in another region) were just turned down at their court hearing doesn't make me rest easier.

So, I appeal to the prayers among you yet again...


Brent gets on the plane today (Tuesday) at 1 in the afternoon to return to Kazakhstan. He'll arrive in Kokshetau at noon on Thursday. He's got quite a grueling trip in front of him, poor guy. Of course, being a bit prone to worry, I'm fretting about the possibility of delays and/or flight cancellations. As it stands he's arriving less than 24 hours before our court date.The last bit of news relating to adoption logistics has to do with our return dates. We just found out that we are not going to get to come home as soon as we were hoping. Since our court date was scheduled earlier than initially forecast, we expected that we'd also get to come home sooner. So, we were thinking we'd complete the appeal period on the 19th, travel to Almaty on the 22nd, leave Almaty the 29th. As it turns out, we don't get to leave Kokshetau till the 29th, and won't leave Almaty till the 2nd. But let's look on the bright side here. What this means is that I'll get on a plane to return home exactly 70 days from the date I left Saint Louis--and 70 is a pretty number. In all seriousness, though, so long as we leave with these children in our arms, I'll count 10 weeks in Kazakhstan worth every single second.

And that brings us back to the topic of our court date. Lord, in your mercy... hear our prayer.


Highlights from Sunday

Chomp!



Even if a girl can't go outside, she can still wear a bonnet right?



Highlights from Monday



    We're seeing lots of smiles these days, lots of eye contact (!)--and lots of drool.


It's not that I'm cheap--there are two of these teethers.

But they always both want what the other has, so this worked best.




I love all the hands and feet in this picture.

Highlights from Tuesday

He watches my lips very carefully when I talk to him.
Here, I'm saying "mamamamamama"--working on that one while dadadada is away.
Evie laughed out loud for the first time today--I was tickling her.




Goodnight everyone. Have a good day.

6 comments:

  1. You remain in my thoughts! Great photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pray for you all everyday, but I will send bigger, louder and better. Nothing in the world like a baby's laugh!

    The photos, as always, are so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are thinking positive thoughts. We can't wait to meet Jess and Evie in person - the smiles, the laughs, and the chunky thighs! I can't even imagine the type of anxiety you may be feeling now - but I have to have faith that Jess and Evie will come home to Saint Louis - because clearly this foursome was simply meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely saying a prayer for you guys- for Brent's safe and timely travel, for a positive court verdict, and for smooth and quick paperwork processing that allows for a timely departure from Kokshetau.

    Oh my gosh- she is adorable in that dress and bonnet!! So sweet! Jess appears to be quite the avid pupil!

    So the next time you fill out a form requiring a list of all former home addresses, will you include the cottage address? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot imagine how nerve wracking that wait must be.

    We'll be thinking of you four tomorrow.

    Love, us.

    p.s.(the Evie-in-the-mirror picture is fantastic! who's that baby hmm?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are in my thoughts and prayers today especially -- God bless.

    ReplyDelete