Evelyn Raisa
Brent's Reflections: You might have thought that my FIRST thought when we finally saw the twins in person today was "what beautiful babies, I can't believe this is happening"! But, in fact, that was my second thought. The first one was "what a relief: we came to this place on the other side of the world to see them and they're actually here!" Also, I'd like to add with all the bias you might expect, they're actually even cuter than these pictures could portray, full of personality and life! I'm sure that the days and weeks to come will add all manner of fullness to my thoughts and feelings about these little ones, but what a wonderful experience to spend time with them today. They are trusting little souls and warmed up to us in the short time we spent with them (Evelyn more slowly than Jesse). How can a person fail to be grateful for such little hearts? More details to come, you can be sure, but for now its enough that they're here.
Susan's Reflections: What a day!! Where to begin???
Maybe I'll just tell you about the meeting itself and about these little people whose personalities already shine through. The meeting took place in the head nurse's office. (The hospital was really busy today and apparently the room we'll be using for our visitation period with them wasn't yet ready.) Dr. Natalya (the director of the maternity ward) showed us to a room and asked us to wait while they went to get the babies. I thought I just might die from anticipation...
First, they brought in the beautiful and solemn Raisa ('Evelyn') and handed her to Brent saying "daddy's girl". She looked soooo tiny--like a miniature of the baby I was expecting. She settled calmly into Brent's arms. Very quiet and very serious. Next they brought in Nikita ('Jesse')--little Mr. Personality. The nurses immediately informed us that he is the more social of the two and "loves the ladies". They handed him to me and within 30 seconds he gave me a great big smile and continued to share the love for the rest of our time together. A real charmer.
We got to spend about and hour and a half with them. Boy did the time fly! We kept taking turns with them--handing the babies back and forth between us. About halfway through the meeting, they brought us bottles so that we could feed them. I think it's kefir (like thin plain yogurt) with some cereal in it(?). Thick stuff, but they polished it off in no time.
Jesse was in motion constantly, kicking, moving, eventually even cooing a bit. He smiles easily and constantly--a busy social butterfly. He keeps trying to sit up (from laying flat) but only manages to pull himself up about an inch. I'm trying to explain that he needs to start by rolling over... He's a little on the thin side, and a little stiff (though he seemed to relax and loosen up just during that hour). But as alert, as busy, as engaged, and as chipper as a boy could be.
Evelyn, on the other hand, was very quiet, serious, and a bit withdrawn--no smiles. Though she clearly likes to be held (even fell asleep in my arms at one point--so sweet) she also definitely avoided eye contact for the first hour or so. During the last part of our visit, I really wanted to see if I could get her to look a little more at me and maybe even coax a smile out of her. The turning point seemed to be the doll that I brought (one that mom bought us--thanks meemaw!). The doll was a hit. At first, I was worried about her paying more attention to the doll than to me (imagine me feeling jealous of a doll!). But the doll seemed to bring her out of her shell, she really perked up and payed attention--seemed to get more engaged. Pretty soon the doll fell to the side and I got her to look at me by blowing on and kissing her hands. She even smiled a tiny, coy smile. Can't wait to work on her more tomorrow.
By the end of the visit Jesse had worn himself out and began to doze off. The nurse came to take them back to their room, but only after we assured the twins that we would coming back again (and again and again) soon. Can't wait till tomorrow. We'll spend 2 hours (11:30-1:30) daily with them. Wish it could be more, but we'll take what we can get!I'll close with some more pictures.
![]() |
| Sweetest, snuggliest, beautiful baby girl. |
| The doll of which I spoke... |
| Our handsome baby boy. |
![]() |
| Be still my beating heart. |



Oh my goodness! They're sooooo beautiful. And Brent and Susan -- you look absolutely radiant. What a joy to see the B-T family together!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! They are so beautiful, so lovely. I started smiling from the very moment I saw them, and all the way through your post. It sounds like your first date was marvelous. :-)
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love those cheeks?!
Congratulations you guys!
Wow! Praise God from whome all blessings flow!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe how cute they are!
Congratulations. What beautiful children! Can't wait to learn more about them as you share your visits with us.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations! They are beautiful. I am so happy for the two of you that this time has finally come. Now you are a family! I can't wait to meet them. I am sure Leah would love to pull on their hair if given the chance! :)
ReplyDeleteGena
Woohoo!! They're beautiful!! Congratulations, guys, we couldn't be happier for you! Can't wait to meet them!
ReplyDeleteDan
I can understand your relief that they are indeed there.
ReplyDeleteAnd, they are beautiful! I am so, so happy for you all! Enjoy getting to know them.
Congratulations! They are so beautiful! I'm sure they will soon realize that God has given them amazing people as parents. Enjoy every moment of your family time!
ReplyDeleteOkay, I know I teased you about this -- but they really are uncommonly handsome children! And you guys look fantastic, very natural.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait for the next report and set of pictures.
Outstanding! I'm so happy for you guys. Great pictures, great post and descriptions. I'm looking forward to seeing them in person.
ReplyDelete-Mark S.
Hooray!! They're such snuggly little munchkins! Susan, I -love- the picture of you with Evelyn cuddled up on your shoulder. Good luck trying to sleep tonight, waiting to go back. =)
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh........they are so pretty! I would say they were worth the long wait! You both look natural and loving which will increase with every moment you spend with them and they with you. You guys are definately going to have the family(Susan's)prize for babies with hair! Can't wait for the next photos!
ReplyDeletebeautiful children!! congratulations!
ReplyDeleteyou don't know us yet but we're moving into the cottage next week. it will our second adoption from kokshetau and second stay in the cottage.
see you soon.
Papa and Janice here. We are really enjoying looking at them and reading your blog. They are so beautiful. I know that everyone keeps saying that - but it's true. You guys look awesome. Those are photos you will treasure forever - not only because of the specialness of the event but also because you both look like one-hot-couple!!! Can't wait to hear more. --love ya!
ReplyDeleteWOw - they are so beautiful! How exciting and we truly understand the relief factor! We are so happy for you all! Overnight a family of 4-it's going to be busy at your house! --Lisa & Todd (traveling friends)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteOh Susan! The way I have made it - not being by a computer (as I was driving) Holly has been "telling" the updates every day so I could survive not seeing the them! I cannot imagine (actually I can) what you are feeling! Gosh Gosh Gosh how absolutely wonderful. I keep replying to email updates but wanted to say on the blog how wonderful it all seems. Love you and Brent and the babies! Meemaw
ReplyDeletecongrats!!! We are so happy for you guys. Jessie & Evelyn are too cute! I'm sure it has been & will be, an amazing journey- thanks for keeping us posted.
ReplyDelete