Sitting in airports in Kazakhstan, Germany and the U.S. or watching so many more cities roll by miles below during a very long June 15th (Father's Day, as it turns out) did nothing to ease my vertigo, either. If you were in Volgograd, Krakow, Amsterdam, Newcastle upon Tyne, Glasgow, Montreal, Grand Rapids or Chicago yesterday, that was me waving to you from my window eight miles up. It was a long, clear day to think about life, which looks very different to me after just three weeks. Amazing how these little Kazakh wonders have captured my heart and turned my world on its head!
This is me thinking about them while I waited for my flight in Almaty.
During my day-long layover in Almaty I kept my mind occupied by seeing the city on foot. I made two big loops around the center of town and took in lots of interesting sights and sounds. Here are some places around town:
Kabanbai Batyr and Tulebaev, near the apt.
Central mosque
Typical Eurasian architecture
And here is the view from Satpaev Street, at a high point in the city with a great view of the Tian Shan mountains:
| Sisters at the family fruit stand |
Lots of young couples were getting married and taking wedding pics at the popular spots around town this weekend in Almaty (reminded me of the scene on summer days down by the old courthouse in St. Louis). I must have seen twenty wedding parties at the various public parks and monuments I was at during the day. Panfilov park was an especially popular spot. There was even an accordianist there playing his variation on the wedding march.
| This Kazakh groom was clearly inspired by Shakespeare in his arduous climb to get a kiss from the bride. |
I hope we hear more about that last bit, Brent - about how you and Susan work out that partnership over time.
ReplyDeleteA belated "Happy Father's Day" to you, Brent!
ReplyDeleteI've been meaning to comment for awhile now on how much I've enjoyed the travelogue of your time in Kaz. Reading it is like going on a mini-vacation. Your new job isn't with Rough Guide, is it? :)
a while, not awhile
ReplyDelete