Saturday, June 21, 2008

One Month Mark

One month ago today we got on a plane to come to Kazakhstan. What a month it's been!

As you may (or may not) have noticed, I've been a little slower in posting the last two days. It's hard to think of what new to tell you, what new to show you, when our visits involve being in the same room doing the same kinds of things day after day. Now, don't get me wrong. These visits are the highlight of my life at this point. But still it is hard to know what to report without boring you to tears.

The fact that I'm posting something now doesn't mean I've got something new and exciting to report. Nope. I just figured that if I wait a few days maybe whatever I say will seem a little more exciting--what with all the suspense. Anyhow, I thought it was time to check in.

So, what can I tell you about events on the ground these last two days?
  • Evelyn reached out her arms to me today for me to pick her up. (Sooooooo sweet.)
  • I had a nosebleed at the hospital toward the end of our visit today...We were trying to be stealthy about dealing with it, but for any of you that have witnessed one of these events you know that they're not subtle. I'll just say this: we resorted to using a diaper and baby wipes, and mom had to wash some blood off of Evie's sheet. (The very fact that I'm reporting all this shows how desperate I am to think of things to tell you.)
  • My housemates and I (and mom) hosted what I think was a successful BBQ. Most of the credit goes to Janet and Doug (they're the house mates I just referred to)--and perhaps most especially to Doug, who not only found charcoal (not an easy thing here--he bought it from the guy that grills the kabobs a nearby restaurant that we frequent), but also did all the grilling. And a very nice job he did! We had 4 other American families plus Makhabat (a translator and new friend) and her daughter and her niece. Doug alone provided enough food to feed an army, but it was also potluck so we'll be eating leftovers for days! Such a nice time.
Well, that's the news such as it is. I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. I'm including pictures from the last two of our visits with sweet Jess and lovely Evelyn, plus some shots of our party. Hope you're having a great weekend! Paka! (Bye!)

And, Jesse practices too...
Evelyn practices standing (Ta Da!)    











Just a cute picture

Mirror, Mirror...


A little people watching.

A reader already!


Baby Yoga Class: Downward Facing Dog (with book)

 
Snuggles with Memaw.
Boy did Jess like this!
Our Cook   
     Our food!


Here's to life in Kazakhstan!
(Actually, we were toasting our children...)

3 comments:

  1. How could any news about these babies be boring? Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to have that feeling of vertigo...isn't that my beautiful wife; aren't those my beautiful children? Looks like Jesse and Evie are getting much stronger on their legs...so much to miss in a week! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the yoga picture!! (Big grin) How on earth did you manage that?!

    Don't ever think you are boring us!! You could write every ingredient of what they eat, and we'll still be hooked! :-)

    Please tell Makhabat we said hello (she was our formal translator- first day and court day).

    ReplyDelete