Jess does this:
And this:
And this:
And occasionally all this fancy footwork even results in a small forward directed motion! Now, I'm inclined to say this qualifies as crawling, but clearly we're dealing with a border-line case. What are the exact criteria?Now that the official bonding period is over I've now switched to the budget mode of visitation--i.e. no driver, no interpreter. It's about a 20 minute walk each way. I just let myself in at the back door of the hospital (which, incidentally, opens directly into a bathroom--I'm assuming no one uses that toilet; boy, would that be awkward: 'Uhhhh....Dobray Utra!' (Good morning!)). I stayed for the usual two and a half hours and then let myself out. I must say, I felt like pretty big cheese out there on my own today.
None of that is to say, of course, that I don't miss Brent desperately. I do. In fact, I was pretty darn bummed when he left yesterday (and it's not just because I now have to cook for myself for these few days till mom gets here)! I'm happy to report, however, that despite the fact that (a) his flight out of here yesterday fell on a Friday the 13th and (b) a black cat crossed the road in front of us in the morning, he made it to Almaty and is having a grand old time there. His flight to the US leaves late tonight--well, actually early tomorrow (Sun.) morning.
So, anyhow, back to my visit with the kiddos. (Read: transition to pictures.) We had a nice, mellow time together. Jess was in a happy mood, not as fussy as the last few days. In fact, he was very active and busy (as the foregoing photos indicate). Evelyn was her usual calm, quiet, cuddly, self (though she got pretty chatty right as it was time for me to leave, which made it hard to go).
![]() |
| Can you see how Evie's pants are getting a bit tight? She's almost out of 6 month clothes! |
Jess's pants, however, are too big! He's such a little pea.
Can't wait to get him home and put some meat on his bones.
|
So, I'll wrap up with a remark about the before/after photos from yesterday's post. Basically, that was just a desperate attempt to fill the space (pathetic, I know)--we didn't actually think we looked different. Just pulling your leg. But, then, some of you thought you noticed a difference...so, of course, I go back and study the pictures. Still don't really see anything (well, OK, we were nervous in the first one; we were 10 mins away from meeting our children). My conclusion is this: if you think we look taller, or in any way better at all in the 'after' shot, it's probably just because I made the picture narrower so I'd look less fat.


What Jesse’s doing is definitely a borderline case of crawling. At first I thought it was a borderline case between being a borderline case of crawling and being a definite instance of not crawling, but I can see now that I was mistaken. I hope you can too, Susan, otherwise this whole tenure thing may have been a tad premature.
ReplyDeleteYour children are super cute; make that SUPER cute! I’m not just saying that. I checked with my four-year old, who doesn’t care one whit for your feelings, and he confirmed it--super duper cute.
I’ve really enjoyed seeing all of the wonderful pictures of Jess and Evie and reading about their little personalities. They’re such sweeties! I can understand why you guys have formed such a firm and fast bond with them. I know it doesn’t seem like it, but it won’t be long before you both are back home in the States and raising your new family!
Brent, safe journey, and good luck with the new job. Susan, give the kids a squeeze from me (not too hard though; we wouldn’t want another “truly shocking” diaper on our hands!), and good luck with your solo time in Kokshetau. It sounds like you have everything down pat though. Must you be a natural at everything you do? ;-)
LOL!! You crack me up! And there IS a difference and it has nothing to do with size. :-)
ReplyDeleteThe outfit Evie has on is adorable. Well I mean she's adorable and makes the outfit of course, but the color compliments her complexion.
Jess gets an A+ for all that effort and progress!
Glad to hear you're enjoying the more economical method. Having independence has it's benefits!
Ha--Scott jumped the gun on being all geeky-philosophical about vagueness and crawling. I think forward progress of -some- sort is a necessary condition...but any forward progess counts!
ReplyDeleteIt's so much fun to read the posts and look at the pictures; another friend of mine is expecting in October, Susan, so I'm giving her baby the sweater I'd started for one of your little guys--Jesse and Evelyn are going to need MUCH bigger ones. I've got the new yarn, and I'm knitting away with them in mind. =)
Hang in there without Brent...