Thursday, June 5, 2008

Visit Day 7: A Midpoint of Sorts

First, a process update: Today was the 7th of the 14 days of the required "bonding period". In one week we can petition the court to adopt. It will likely take some time before we're assigned a court date: our coordinator's guesstimate is that our court date would fall around 4 weeks after the date we petition. Of course, we're hoping that it will come faster than that, but that's the standard time frame. During this period of waiting for the court date, Brent will head home to start his new job and I'll stick around here--keeping up daily visitation with the twins.

Speaking of whom....


Next, a baby update: A good visit was had by all. After the usual change and massage (during which Evelyn was pretty conversational), we moved the show to the floor. The guys seemed to like the added space and made good use of it. Jess especially seemed to enjoy the extra room for practicing his rock-n-scootch technique (one time scootched with such force that he jumped about 2 inches forward and then went face first into the floor). I wonder how long before he crawls?


For now, Evelyn is satisfied to roll to what she wants (and lots of times she

wants nothing more than to grab a hold of her bro or to whatever he has--he makes it all look so interesting). Today her new trick was pushing herself into a kind of pike position: toes and hands down, butt up in the air. Wasn't very useful, apparently, so she didn't repeat.
We had a short visit from the directing physician of the Children's Hospital. She gave us just a bit more info on their medical history (such as it is--not lots of history here) and told us a bit about their schedule during the parts of the day we're not around. She described their personalities and traits as the staff have come to know them (pretty much right along the lines of what we've observed--except she said that Evelyn, while typically quiet, definitely makes her desires known when she needs to). It was a nice conversation and we feel so grateful for the good care they've received!

I can't help myself--so many good pictures from today:



Evie chatting while she's getting dressed.

Gazing at her doll.
So darn cute!
Hey! That tickles, Dad!

And then there was nap.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan & Brent,

    I have enjoyed so much the opportunity to keep up with what's going on over there with you all. It's part of my morning routine to check email and read the B-T baby blog. I love seeing the pictures and how easily you two seem to be getting along as new parents! Thanks so much for including us in your day to day activities over there, it's a real pleasure! Lots of love to you all, Renee & the boys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. meemaw here! that is the sweetest picture of Jesse laughing and hand on his face when Daddy is nuzzling him. Brent looks so good. Little Evie looking at doll is precious. It does look like you guys are comfortable with a good amount of clothes? Still pretty chilly there? Love you all so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still enjoying your story! I can understand wanting to post all those photos - they are great. Can you believe you have only known them for a week? Doesn't it seem like a whole lifetime? What does the philosopher make of that? Congratulations on getting halfway through. Court will be here in no time!

    It is amazing how much they have changed in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been unable to check the blog the last couple of days, so please forgive my belated responses.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN! Congratulations on the tenure also! You all are having an incredibly blessed year!
    The birthday picture of Susan with the babies is gorgeous. It has been amazing to see the changes in the babies faces as they have gotten to know you.
    Thank you for giving us the opportunity to share all of this with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brent, Susan, Evelyn & Jess,

    I just got back for Mexico and what a delight to read of your amazing journey. I thought and prayed for you while I was away and imagined what it must have been like to travel ½ way around the world to meet your new family. I read your blogs chronologically backwards beginning with today’s--as saw I today’s pictures and you’re your blog I thought how familiar and comfortable you all looked together, as if you had been together from the start, and it had only been a few days. Amazing. What wonderful gifts—Evelyn and Jess. They are very cute!

    One of your friends wrote that this was the ultimate “blind date.” I thought that was a great illustration, but maybe more like a blind marriage where “love consented in advance.” That phrase came to mind at her comment –it is from beautiful poem Out of the Blue by Michael O’ Siadhail (an Irish Poet) Nothing can explain this adventure—lets say a quirk of fortune steered us together—we made our covenants, began this odyssey of ours, buy hunch and guess work, a blind date where foolish love consented in advance. . . Gratuitous, beyond our fathoming, both binding and freeing, this love re-invades us, shifts the boundaries of our being.

    What a gift of love that consented in advance! And of-course there will be lots of hunches and guess work in the future—and it will be gratuitous beyond imagining.
    Your blogs are great and it is fun to get to know these new Brower-Tolands!

    Warmly,
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that last picture is a heartbreaker! Rodney comments "they're so small." Guess we're used to our beefy big boy. We miss you guys and love the updates and the photos. The twins are precious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw! So darn sweet! I'm just getting caught up now after a week of vacation with no email or blogging- a true hardship! :-)

    I had just scrolled down to the picture of Jess's full face and I thought to myself, "I bet those two are getting tons of kisses!" and sure enough, the next few pics confirmed it!

    ReplyDelete